The ultraviolet rays coming out of the sun do the maximum harm to one's skin. They directly penetrate into the skin layers and make it dark, dull, full of wrinkles and much older than the actual age.
All these products promising sun skin protection are hitting the market, but none of them is 100% safe. No sun care product prevents the skin from the damage completely. They contain sun protection factors in different ranges as SPF 15, SPF 20 or SPF 50. They have some chemicals in them, which put a layer on the skin to prevent the harmful UV rays to enter the skin.
Sensitive and fairer skin is easy target to sun damage. Melanin is a substance in skin that protects it from harmful UV Rays but fairer skin has less quantity of it in their skin so is more approachable to sun damage. One cannot get escaped from the harm done by ultraviolet rays to the skin but one can surely reduce the effect of the harm to one's skin from sun.
People are getting aware about sun protection. There are details in newspapers and television channels about sun protection. So people know how to care about the skin when in sun or after that.
Here are the details about some damages sun does to one's skin:
- It makes the skin's natural complexion dark.
- Gives the skin an uneven tone, whereas skin is dark somewhere and light somewhere.
- A flawless skin gets pigmentation and freckles that are brown spots all over the face and some dark patches on the skin, which gives the skin discoloration. Fairer skin is more prone to suffer from these.
- Some people, specially kids get small itchy bumps on the skin, on the area where the sweat is more as back, neck or chest. It has burning sensation and makes the skin red. It is called prickly heat and takes time to heal.
- Some people get inflammation on the area that sweats more and the condition is unbearable in the sun.
- Dark red patches on the face or on the sensitive part of the skin due the heat of the sun.
- Some people get rashes on skin due to sun, sometimes they turn into blisters, its kind of allergy people have due to sun. It normally takes 5-10 days to heal. People usually get it in holidays when they spend more time in the sun.
- Kids have much more sensitive skin than adults and when the sunrays can harm grown ups, they harm kid's sensitive skin very badly. Kids get red rashes like burns on their skin if left in the sun directly without any sun protection.
- Because of the heat of the sun many people get dehydration and vomiting.
Now comes the protection one should take to minimize the harmful effect on the skin from the sun:
- One should never go out of the house in the sun without applying sun protection lotion on the body. If one is out in the sun for hours then one needs to reapply the lotion on the open parts of the body, as the effect of these lotions doesn't last for more than an hour.
- Sun protection lotions take some time to set deep in the skin so one should apply them at least 20 minutes before going out.
- When going in water in sun, even if the sunscreen lotion is waterproof, one needs to reapply the lotion on the skin.
- When on the beach or somewhere out directly in the open sun, one should apply the after sun lotions available in the market on the skin to stop the harmful effect on skin.
- Kids are very sensitive to sun so never let them stay out in the sun without applying sunscreen lotion on their skin. There are different sunscreen lotions available in the market specially meant for kids.
- One can even cover the head with scarf, caps and hat in the sun. To protect hands full sleeves cotton gloves are available in the market.
- Always wear sunglasses in the sun and carry and umbrella.
- When leaving the house drink lots of fluids to prevent yourself from dehydration.
- Always apply sunscreen lotion depending on your skin type. As for oily skin use one specifically meant for oily skin. They are available in gels too, which is better to apply on oily skin.
- Moisturizer and oil based sunscreen lotions are suitable for dry skin.
- Whenever get itching, redness, bumps or blisters due to son or in the sun then does not ignore them, apply medical prickly heat powders, lotions and use medicated soaps on the skin. Even if the problem persists then take medical help of a skin specialist.
With proper awareness and care from harmful UV Rays of the sun, one can delay the decay sun is going to do to one's skin.